Saturday 19 January 2013

Calling All Lactating Women! The Bribie Island Nurse-In

The Milk has moved! Please head over to www.themilkmeg.com to check it out!

Extra! Extra! Read All About it!

The Sunday Mail 20th January 2013
The Sunshine Coast Daily 20th January 2013


On the 12th of January, 2013 Liana Webster took her three kids to her local pool.  While she was sitting there breastfeeding her eleven month old and watching her other two children swim, an employee walked over to her and told her she wasn't allowed to feed there, that she had to "refrain from feeding out in the open."  Click on this link for more info: Liana's Story in The Courier Mail.  This pic above (from the Herald Sun) shows us breastfeeding mums who came to the nurse-in. Liana is at the front in the black shirt, I am behind her breastfeeding my little one.

As a breastfeeding mum who has experienced a similar situation myself (which I write about in my breastfeeding in public post, The Boob Hangs Out) I know the humiliation that comes along with being asked to breastfeed in the toilet or cover up.  This "issue" of breastfeeding in public should not even be an "issue." 

I was interviewed by a few different media people at the nurse-in that was organized by Liana and every time I spoke to someone I mentioned the same point over and over, "if you feel as though a woman needs to be 'discreet' or move to a private spot to breastfeed then you are sexualising her breasts! It is YOUR problem.  Women have breasts for one purpose only, to feed our babies.  It's as simple as that." 


Here is some of the media coverage from the day:

From The Sunshine Coast Daily,  Nurse-In Website Article

From the Herald Sun, Nurse-In

My friend Kellie Bradfield came along to take some pictures.  She is not only a photographer, but also a former breastfeeding mum who breastfed all three of her kids and wanted to support Liana as well as all of the other breastfeeding mums out there. You can find her Facebook page here, Kellie.  Here are some great pics she took from the day...

Please head over to www.themilkmeg.com to continue reading this article!










































.








2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Wish I could have been there (why not, I always wanted to visit Australia!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, I'd love for you to come and visit me in Australia! There will always be an open door and empty bed here for you and your fam :)

      Delete